August 15, 2005

Makeup call...

Okay, the Sopranos post was a bit of a cop-out...I felt like I needed to post something for yesterday's absence, and I didn't really have anything to post...it's not bad in retrospect, it's just not my best work...let's try again, shall we?

If you're a guy in the age range of about 18-40, you've gotta be reading Bill Simmons of ESPN.com regularly. He's the best thing left on ESPN's website that you don't have to pay for, and they've been expanding his world step by step until he's nearly running Page2. He started out with a little column, couple of times a week. Then he got a side column of stuff not quite worth a full article, and they let him call it More Cowbell. Then they gave him an intern whose job it is (at least in appearance) to simply run the Links of the Day column, which everyday has better links than anything I'm posting up (well, not everyday, but he's got a full-time intern to be his toadie, what've I got?). Then there's the classic time in and time out mailbags where Simmons takes what his readers give him and riffs on them. And they turned him into a cartoon character The Sports Guy complete with sidekick/girlfriend/now-wife The Sports Gal. The man's a modern day classic. Follow him...

In the past few days alone, here are some of the highlights...

2 comments:

Kristen Gill, Marketing Manager said...

"...and I didn't really have anything to post...it's not bad in retrospect, it's just not my best work...let's try again, shall we?"

I could have written this. Why do we have standards for something so casual, like a blog? I don't know. I just wanted you to know, I do too.

PHSChemGuy said...

No clue...this is something I'm sort of doing to entertain my studnets (I'm a HS teacher), but it's before the year starts, so they're not even checking it yet, and I don't even know how many of them will be once school does start...it's just something that I enjoy doing and don't want to let die, so I'm setting a goal of a post a day...

thanks for checking it out...