September 16, 2005

A glimpse into my disease...

Admittedly, I have a few issues. I'm afraid of spiders, and every time I step over a sewer grate right after getting out of my car, I hold my car keys a little unreasonably tightly because I'm scared that I'm going to drop the keys into the grate.

But I'm thinking about another little issue that I have: a compulsion to put together themed-compilation cds of music. Right now I'm somewhat casually working on like five different cd's...
Outlaw Country
In the late 60's, a number of singers rebelled against the Nashville sound machine production and produced themselves and their rough-around-the-edges voices. I kind of enjoy the Guy Clark, Kris Kristofferson, Waylon Jennings, and a lot of the rest of the crew, so I'm putting together a bit of my favorites of the genre.
Train songs
In listening to the Guy Clark cd, I heard "Texas-1947", his song about waiting for the train to come, which made me think of "Panama Limited" by Tom Rush and "City of New Orleans" by Arlo Guthrie and a half dozen other train songs that I love and that all have some common theme and feeling.
Sully's wedding CD
I was the best man at a wedding this summer, and the groom had music planned out perfectly - well, perfectly for them - that he specifically wanted the DJ to play. Instead, the DJ played some of the songs and ignored the rest of the list. I've taken it upon myself to correct this by burning a couple of CDs of the right music. There are, of course, other options.
90's pop
A full cd of my favorite early-90's pop music: "MMMBop", "How Bizarre", "Fly"...and their ilk...
Summer songs
"Summer Rain" by U2, "Cruel Summer" by Bananarama, "Summertime Blues" by Eddie Cochran, "In the Summer Time" by Mungo Jerry...and lots more
...and this doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of others that I've done...
And on the 8th Day...
Songs about God and the Devil...
Alyssa's Lullabyes
Children's songs - two cd's, one upbeat, one slower - for Amy Goohs-Hyphen's baby shower
Let's Get Folky
Folk music collection...died at eight cassettes...might be reborn on cd someday...
The 80's
At one point I had 600+ 80's songs and edited them down into 18 theme-based cd's of my favorites
Instrumentals
Exactly what it says - two cd's, one upbeat, one more relaxing
Clean Beasties
I like the Beastie Boys, and I wanted clean cds to play at school
The Funkiest of the Funky
The finest funk of the 70's...
Down in the Delta
Covers of Elvis songs, songs about Elvis himself, and songs about Memphis - one of my finest compilations, I think
I don't honestly know whether I'm typing this because I'm worried or because I want more suggestions or if I just want suggestions of what to put on some of the working compilations. Seriously, something's wrong with me.

No comments: