October 17, 2005

In advance, I'm sorry...

I apologize in advance because I'm going to offend somebody somewhere along this post.

A bit of history so perhaps I might offend a few smaller number out there. I grew up playing Dungeons and Dragons. I spent many a weekend night or afternoon in a friend's basement describing what my level-seven chaotic-neutral elven ranger would do if he ran across a creeping slime in some dark dungeon. All of that is true, I'll admit it.

I know the difference between a d8 and a d12, can probably tell whether something's a d20 or d30 just by feel.

And about ten years ago, I went to GenCon or some other gaming convention in Columbus with a good friend of mine - Wayne - and his friend Prakash.

And while I was there, I saw the offshoot group of costume folks. In a group of people who most of society considers the outcasts (gamers), the cosplay folks are the outcasts from the outcasts. They've found their niche that they enjoy filling, and they seem to have a blast doing it.

Heck, the Sharonville library branch of the PLCH even recently held a cosplay night with prizes for the best attire.

All that being said, if this is how you spend your Friday night, and if you spend as much time getting ready for the night as these folks seem to have, then I'm suggesting that you pick up another hobby - maybe tennis, perhaps some frisbee golf, something - anything that gets you outside into the sun.

C'mon folks, a little vitamin D for the soul's sake, please...

1 comment:

calencoriel said...

What spurred this on?