October 9, 2005

Shuffling again...

It's a Sunday afternoon, so that means I'm at school grading notebooks. I've got to start getting more work done during my plan bell.

Another visit to the shuffle feature on iTunes.

The first ten to come up at school:
  1. "Last Exit" by Pearl Jam - it's a little harsh...I like the more melodic Pearl Jam ("Who Are You", "Black", "Daughter") better...
  2. "The Ballad of Laverne and Captain Flint" by Guy Clark - a month or so ago, I was on an Outlaw Country kick, and this is the remnant...too much funky, late-70's rock guitar for me...reminds me of Jimmy Buffet (this song, anyway)...
  3. "Thin Air" by Pearl Jam...there's a lot of Pearl Jam at school...this is more like what I like best from them...slower, more tuneful...
  4. "Ride On" by AC/DC...probably my favorite song that they did...nice, slow blues...builds well...before Bon left 'em...
  5. "Can't Get It Out of My Head" by ELO...they're schmaltzy and over-produced, true, but there's something catchy about a lot of their work...I prefer "Goodbye Blue Sky"...this one's too sappy...
  6. "Georgy Girl" by Baja Marimba Band...I've got a thing for cheesy lounge music, and this version fits in perfectly...from the great Ultra Lounge series...
  7. "Beat of Your Heart" by Paul Kelly...his Words and Music album is outstanding...incredible guitar rock and easier songs from this Australian...woefully unknown of here in the US...
  8. "From Hank to Hendrix" (live) by Neil Young...I'm a big fan of Neil's easier stuff...though Silver and Gold went too easy for me...I'm not sure of Prairie Wind as I haven't picked it up yet...his Harvest Moon and this live recording from that tour are wonderful...
  9. "Mofo" by U2...ah, Pop...I think it's underrated...this isn't the best song of the disc, but I love that U2 are willing to experiment and see what they haven't done yet...give it a try...much better than, I think, Achtung Baby...
  10. "Jackie Brown" by John Mellencamp...from his fiddle and accordian music phase...this might be the best thing he's ever written...so much more moving and gripping than any of his hits...so sad, so well-done...from the greatest rock musician to come out of Indiana - Michael Jackson, not rock...Axel Rose, one great album...Hoagy Carmichael, not rock...
...And now we return me to my scheduled grading...

No comments: