November 26, 2005

While sitting on my couch...

The Saturday morning cartoon lineup on broadcast television isn't exactly spectacular anymore. It's certainly not the exciting, special lineup that I remember from my childhood - though I'm guessing that cable tv might have something to do with that.

There are a few highlights, however. Xiaolin Showdown is a quality show at nine o'clock on the WB. The Batman isn't exactly the finest adaptation of the mythos, but it's interesting because the artists are willing to take some chances with constume redesigns for the characters. Some of them work, but a lot of them don't.

The best thing on Saturday mornings, however, is Lazy Town, a very weird show mixing complex puppetry, semi-creepy makeup, and good eating and exercise habits information. It's a show designed for pretty small kids, and it's one that's helping the stations meeting their FCC requirement for showing educational television. The thing I love about the show is the great visual style of the show, with bright, bold colors and wonderful set and character designs.

It's on at ten every Saturday morning on WKRC. Give it a try, folks...

1 comment:

calencoriel said...

My kid loves this show, I find the adult male characters kind of creepy, but the little girl is extremely talented...not sure what other work she'll get with that pink hair though...