February 5, 2006

Ten more random songs...

Kyle may not be doing it anymore, but I'm willing to keep banging away at the random songs from iTunes. Speaking of Kyle, by the by, he recommended an excellent cartoon from Salon.com this weekend - Tom the Dancing Bug. Good stuff...and now on to today's promised music...
"1952 Vincent Black Lightning" by Richard Thompson
Great song, possibly my favorite song from one of my favorite artists...wonderful throwback to a very old highwayman kind of song (a type that I've considered making a collection of)
"The World is a Wonderful Place" by Richard & Linda Thompson
Another Thompson tune, this one with his wife at the time doing vocals...also the titluar song from a tribute album to the man - mocking his ever-so-cheerful songwriting
"Orange Blossom Special" by The Johnson Mountain Boys
Instrumental bluegrass...one of the most famous and greatest breakdowns in the genre...
"Peaches and Cream" by Beck
From his Midnight Vultures funk album...a quality song from the album in which Beck (mutable music genius) channeled Prince
"Remember (Christmas)" by Harry Nilsson
It's not a holiday song at all...rather it's a slightly maudelin tune from an artist whose music is among the most well-written of the 70's...it's not my favorite song of his at all, but his are definitely a greatest hits worth checking out - I recommend Personal Best - a two-disc set
"Two Faced Love" by Richard Thompson
Again with RT...must be telling me something - what with the six-disc box set coming out this week (I've already got my order in, and it should show up this week)
"Carrie Brown" by Steve Earle and the Del McCoury Band
Earle took a detour from his typically topical songwriting to put out The Mountain - a bluegress album...not his finest work, but it's pretty good stuff...I prefer bluegrass with Earle's deeper, richer voice instead of the traditional high, lonesome sound of most bluegrass singers
"Blame it on the Tetons" by Modest Mouse
Weirdly, the title line from this song has been going through my head for the last twenty-four hours - before I threw together this random ten...seems odd to me...nice, tuneful song from a great album...the only one of theirs that I know...
"World of Two" by Cake
Not too odd from a group that can do very odd...good song...not their finest, but I enjoy their music...especially the album (Comfort Eagle) that this one came from...
"I've Got the Blues" by Lyle Lovett
Lyle's not truly a country singer...more of a blue/jazz guy who just happens to also enjoy Texas swing...this one is a really pretty song that shows off his bluesier side...
Amazingly, three Richard Thompson songs (I have a bunch, but I'm surprised that many showed up in just ten choices)...and two bluegrass...all in all, possibly the strongest random ten that I've done...any thoughts, anybody?

Oh, and yesterday's 5K for a Cause went pretty well...raised over $900 for the campaign...everybody was very understanding when our last student giving directions on the course pointed most of the runners/walkers the wrong way...frustrating for me because by the time I found out about it, I couldn't do a thing about it, but that's life...hopefully next year's will go more smoothly...

No comments: