June 9, 2006

X-Men: Their Last Stand with my money

It's a simple premise. Kill off some of the most important characters, don't develop any characters, throw in a couple of red herrings of development that you don't then develop, and add a whole lot of special effects to replace any real plotline.

There ya go, a second sequel in a money-making line.

So, if you couldn't tell already, I didn't much care for X-Men: The Last Stand. Two of the major characters from the previous movies are killed off in the first twenty minutes and another couple bite it at the end. Of course, we see that two of the four are kinda back (or at least you will if you hang out 'til after the credits roll). Even the developments are hedged.

The fight scenes (which seems to take up about two-thirds or more of the movie) are decently well done with the special effects clearly making up the lion's share of the budget. Storm leads but doesn't really do much other than show some pretty cardboard resolve in the face of about thirty whole seconds of the cast in dispair. Wolverine broods and refuses to change his clothes. Rogue also broods then mostly disappears.

The first X-Men movie was crap...the second was pretty good...this is, sadly, more of the first...stear clear...

2 comments:

Cantido said...

Earlier in the year I told you it had a bad director, but I coudn't remember his name (not that anyone would want to). Hopefuly Bryan Singer's Superman has depth and makes up for the sacrifice of the third X-Men movie to Brett Ratner.

PHSChemGuy said...

Every preview of Superman Returns seems to look worse and worse to me. I'm really not hopeful about that one.

Don't get me wrong, I'll see it in the theater, but I can't imagine that it's going to be any good.