August 1, 2006

The best song EVER!

"Build Me Up Buttercup" popped on the radio on the way home, and for some reason the thought of "Hey, I like that song" popped into my brain.

It's not my favorite song or anything, and I don't think it's close to the greatest song ever, but I think it's a song that most people like. Most people wouldn't say that they love the song, but I'd wager that most people like it, feel kinda happy when it comes on.

Which lead me to wonder if there's a song that literally everybody likes. If there was some song that you could get pretty much everybody agreeing that it's a song they like.

Karlen nominated "Ob la di" by the Beatles.

My current nomination - after like five minute thinking about it - is "My Girl" by the Temptations. The groups' not a polarizing one, having not taken on hugely controversial topics or doing anything that's so radical that I think it would turn people off. It's a black group, and from what I've seen in my classroom, that seems to bring in more folks than white oldies groups/artists. Plus it's a happy song. There's no angst there whatsoever, which I think would keep more people in.

So, what are your nominees for the song that would get the most people to say that they like the song?

PS - I think "MMBop" might qualify if you could get people to answer honestly, but I think it was so popular that it's got an overt backlash in spite of that fact that it just might be the perfect pop song.

Final cartoon today courtesy of Toothpaste for Dinner.

3 comments:

PHSChemGuy said...

an excellent nominee...the only fear might be that it's a little too saccharine...but I think that it's commercial applications have probably washed that away even...

calencoriel said...

I'd like to respectfully submit "Shout" by Otis Day and the Knights...very few white people at wedding receptions will refuse the chance to dance to that song...

overplayed, yes...but come on, when you think of Belusi in that toga...you have to feel happy...

PHSChemGuy said...

Nope..."Shout" is too cliched to work here...I'm gonna have to throw the "cliched" flag...

and I'm thinking that you'll have no problem catching up once you get back into town...since you apparently never left...

go on...enjoy your vacation, Calen...