September 10, 2006

Science is cool and rockin' and scary

Thanks, Studer.

Douglas sent me a link to a nice little video about blowing up some alkali metals. Kinda cool, nice attitude, interesting science, and a cool British accent from the host.

The British accent makes sense because the video came from a British show from G4 called Brainiac, and the show seems like it'd be a whole lot of fun to get to watch regularly. Google video has a few more videos (testing products like underpants, testing your perception, and melting an engine block) if you're not convinced and there are more on the series website has a rotating series of videos from the show, as well.

Other than a single phrase - the dog's nuts, this looks like something I'd love to show in class, so I went hunting for DVDs or videos or something. No luck, everything I found on both eBay and Amazon looks to be for Region 2 - no use to me in the US, sadly.

From what my research found, the series might not be all that scientific all the time, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't still enjoy the thing.

There are a bunch of quasi-scientific shows that I'd love to use in my classroom.

1 comment:

calencoriel said...

Bridget showed it in class...and all I heard from her kids was how cool the explosions were and how disappointed the kids were that they couldn't see Francium. No one mentioned the dog's nuts comment...maybe she got a version that didn't have that phrase or something...