September 9, 2006

Sell a few sea shells, Sally

Who doesn't love a good bunch of tongue twisters?

This all came about because of something that Stephen Colbert said in his original Gravitas-off:
Amidst the mists and coldest frosts,
with stoutest wrists and loudest boasts,
he thrusts his fist against the posts
and still insists he sees the ghosts.
It struck a chord with me because the last two lines were also used in Stephen King's Dark Tower series, but I'd never heard the full thing, so I went hunting.

First, I happened upon the most thorough collection of tongue twisters and a similar site with thousands of tongue twisters - English and otherwise.

Then I bumped into a site that just seems cruel: tongue twisters for the ESL classroom.

There's the International Tongue Twister Contest, and of course wikipedia has an article on tongue twisters, and then there's two videos on YouTube - one is some sort of weird animation, and the other is yet another freaky Japanese gameshow.

Lemme just point out that I wrote this post like a week ago - and at that point, the same video hadn't been posted on Transbuddha yet. I swear.

No comments: