November 14, 2006

The first mathematical guitar genius

I am an absolute sucker for statistical analysis applied in surprising places. I'm guessing atha anybdoy familiar with my blog knows about my jones for baseball stats, but here's a new one for me.

Recently, Bill Simmons mentioned a New Yorker article about some mathematically-inclined who have taken it into their minds to make some sense of movie profits.

They analyzed hundreds of scripts, plotted various aspects, and attempted to find correlations between the script aspects and the final movie revenues.

Nuts, right?

Nope, turns out that they've had a good deal of success.

Take a gander if you've got a moment or two...

In similar things on the web, there are a couple of math movie databases and one simpler movie math site.

No comments: