July 22, 2007

Because I'm a day behind...

You know how it is...ya promise to post every day...you get a few days behind...you need to catch up but don't have any posts banked...so to the old standby ya go...
  1. "Brahams' Lullaby" by Linda Rondstat & Aaron Neville - I made a couple of kids music cds a few years back for a friend's baby shower and was amazed at how many cool kids songs I could come up with without going all Raffi on her...I may post a list of the songs another time...this one was on the cd of sleepy-time songs rather than the freak-out dance songs
  2. "Side With Seeds" by Wilco - the new album from what is easily my favorite band is starting to grow on me...at first it was almost too straight forward, non-experimental for what I've come to expect from Jeff & the Boys, and there isn't a single song that I absolutely love on the cd, but there are a whole lot of songs that I really like...this one is one of my favorites from the disc and made for a heck of a performance in concert...
  3. "The Partisan" by Leonard Cohen - moody, intelligent, oddly voiced...Leonard Cohen's greatest hits is a classic disc from a genre that is pretty much enhabited exclusively by Leonard...this isn't my favorite on that album, but it's still a hell of a song...great job with the chorus singing in French behind him...
  4. "Crazy Love, Vol. II" by Paul Simon - Graceland is an absolute classic...from start to finish, there isn't a wrong note or a weak song...this one's as genius as the rest of them - well, maybe not as genius as "Diamonds on the Souls of Her Shoes", but still wonderful...
  5. "Nice Guys Finish Last" by Green Day - they're impressing me more and more with each release...this came from their first - Nimrod - and, I'd argue, second best disc...Hall of Famers?..I'm thinking not so much though their career could still have a lot of run in them...this song is okay (three of five stars on my list) so will probably get deleted for space soon...
  6. "Study War No More (Down by the Riverside)" by Pete Seeger - Pete's a legend in the folks genre and should be known by every fan of music in the second half of the twentieth century...between him and Alan Lomax, we owe huge, huge debts...
  7. "All My Little Words" by The Magnetic Fields - from one of my favorite albums of all time, a wedding present from my college roommate...wonderful, wonderful collection...horribly underfamous...love so much of the work from Stephen Merritt...
  8. "Wake Me Up Before You Go Go" by Wham! - if you don't immediately think of the gas fight from Zoolander, then you've done something wrong in your life...one of my favorite moments from this past year was when this popped on the iTunes while the students were working, and half the class broke into spontaneous sing-a-long...wonderful piece of pop candy...nicely recreated in a recent Hugh "The Git" Grant film...
  9. "Red Mosquito" by Pearl Jam - I tend more toward the lyrical side of Pearl Jam's output and loved No Code more than any of their albums...love it...
  10. "Unchained" by Johnny Cash - with five cds of Johnny Cash (three from his late American Recording series) in my collection, I just realized that I had none of them on my iPod...corrected that this week...

1 comment:

achilles3 said...

"No Code" is so damn underated! I love it. I don't care if it's cliche...I heart PJ forever!

(As an aside the code I had to type in was "wamybgon"...reminded me of Press Your Luck..."Big Bucks and NO wammies!"