September 26, 2007

Comics that match the theme of the blog


Ok, at the questioning of a regular reader & newish poster...

My recommendations for comic books to read...from various perspectives and broken into various categories...

Adult comics (for non-comic fans)
  • The Sandman series - TL's already familiar with this one, having even gone so far as to have met Gaiman himself...this might be the most phenomenal work of comic book totality...with just the barest glimpses into the DC universe, Gaiman has created a full mythos and entire universe that has brought me to tears, taken me to the edge of revulsion, and impressed me to no end
  • The Fables series - I've reviewed them recently, and I'm only halfway through the series so far...more goodness should be to come
  • Pride of Baghdad - wonderful, amazing single-volume graphic novel...beautiful artwork, moving storyline...an amazingly emotional tale told almost entirely without human characters
  • Watchmen - Time named it one of the greatest novels of the last century...I've been desperate to own it...it's widely considered the single greatest graphic novel of all time...amazing whether you get the DC/Charlton references or not...the ending is one of the most phenomenal surprises of all time
  • The Ex Machina series - still ongoing, rooted in a nearly real world...excellent politcal commentary from the first super-powered mayor of NYC...the politics can be a bit over-whelming at times, but it's an interesting read to see what a true political independent, willing to follow his beliefs instead of any possible polls, is able to do in a fantasy world
  • Astro City - Busiek has created an entire super hero universe that is as familiar as possible to DC and Marvel readers without ever using specific characters from either...filled with archetyes and amazingly human characters...Busiek's world is a better commentary on the human condition than anything that DC or Marvel has made
  • Superman: Secret Identity - I take back what I just wrote...this is the most impressive human story that I've ever read in a comic book...impressionistic artowrk over top of a what-if storyline of a young man in our world who finds that he's suddenly got Superman's powers - after having read about Superman for his whole life...short enough to be read in an hour or so but rich enough for me to own and find something new in everytime I read it
  • League of Extraordinary Gentlemen - no need to ever consider the movie that was made based on this series...it stunk like rotten eggs...and if you're gonna read it, you should probably sheck out the annotations...it's like an English teacher's dream come true...but with rather adult scenes thrown in just to make it even better
  • V for Vendetta - it's not Moore's greatest work...it's a little too strong and overt for me, but as a comment on freedom and our relationship to the government, it's impressive...a reminder of just how far our protests need to go sometime...sort of like a 1984 in graphic novel form
  • Maus - A Survivor's Tale - Spiegelman's memoir of his father's time in a concentration camp won the Pullizer prize and is the only book to consistently challenge Watchmen for the top prize in graphic novels...I've only read it once, but I can still see so many of the scenes in my mind, they were so memorable...it's not an easy read, as you could probably guess based on the subject
  • DMZ - the newest of the works on this list...the series has a long way to go before it's firmly here, but I'm taking a guess based on the first volume that I've read...fascinating story of an accidental journalist in Manhattan after the Northeast withdraws from the United States
  • Jimmy Corrigan - Smartest Kid on Earth - it's hard to describe this novel as it doesn't at all play like a comic book or any sort of non-graphic novel I've ever read...the use of repeated, small panels to show the monotony of Jimmy Corrigan's life...this tale of a manchild unhappy with his lot is alternatively heartbreaking and redemptive
That turned out to be a lot longer than I'd expected, so I'll save the true comic book geek titles for another day. Any other suggestions from anybody out there?

Here are a couple of resources that I used to compile this list...

8 comments:

DanEcht said...

Maus is extremely good; totally going to engage myself in Sandman soon.

Kyle said...

If you like Alan Moore you really must read From Hell. I seriously think it's the greatest graphic novel of all time--better than Watchmen.

Unknown said...

I just read Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind by Hayao Miyazaki.

I'm not a seasoned reader of graphic novels, but I rank this series (which should be compiled in one volume) as great beside anything I've read. Fantastic, even in translation.

TL said...

I've read half of your list and enjoyed them thoroughly (and yes, The League movie was a painful experience) so I'll certainly give the rest a go. I would add Persepolis, Preacher (kids, DO NOT read this until you're older PLEASE. I don't want to be responsible for your psychological scarring), Swamp Thing (goes without saying really)... Um. My mind's gone blank. I'll look through my collection at home.

PHSChemGuy said...

Haven't tried From Hell yet but will give it a try on your recommendation.

I'll also try Nausicaa. Oddly, one of my students mentioned this in another context a couple of days ago. Nathan, would you happen to have a brother in one of my classes at the moment? If so, it was he who mentioned it.

TL - I haven't read Hitman, Preacher, or 100 Bullets yet, but have heard really good things about all three. They're on my list of series to work through in time. I've heard excellent things about Perseoplis.

I was on the fence about including Swamp Thing as I've read and reviewed it before. Just didn't quite make the cut, mostly because I remember a general feeling of quality but no specifics. It didn't stick with me.

Unknown said...

I don't actually know what classes my brother (Jacob) is taking, but it would make sense that he'd be in your class year.

Did you ever get the email I sent from my Wabash account? I would have posted something on here earlier, but I don't have or need a blogspot account, but apparently since google bought blogspot, gmail users can post comments.

Sphincter said...

The 9/11 Report in graphic novel format is really amazing. Really. I'm not making that up.

Also, the Rick Geary Treasury of Victorian Murder series rocks. Again, I'm not kidding.

My all time fave is Blankets by Craig Thompson, but many guys are put off by the girly looking cover art. And anything by Miyazaki is exceptional.

PS--I saw the film King of Kong and it was excellent. You don't have to be into classic gaming to enjoy it--or even into gaming at all.

PHSChemGuy said...

Nathan...did get your email from Wabash - love that you were one of the clown protestors and am looking forward to getting the Fall Wabash magazine...very cool...your Bro Aaron actually was in my AP Chem class until about the day I posted this...he's now switched to AP Bio online...

Sphincter - weirdly, I had already heard really good things about the graphic adaptation of The 9-11 Report...it's kinda of a freaky idea...