October 12, 2007

Fmeat, take two

I was asked today about what's a good source of vitamin B. In searching through the number one source on the world wide interweb, Wikipedia, I found out yet another amazing factoid: tempeh is a great source of the various vitamins B.

Right, tempeh!

Who knew?

Tempeh, in case you weren't aware, is a meat substitute made from hulled, soaked soybeans left to ferment for a 24-36 hours at eighty-six degrees fahrenheit after a funsal starter is mixed in. And apparently it's fairly nutritious as it's soybeans and mycelium.

In all honesty, I'd never heard about tempeh before today, and it sounds absolutely hilarious as you're pretty much letting soybeans mold at a certain temp so that the fungus will knit the beans together and make 'em all firm and tasty. Sounds interesting.

I'm kind of curious to try tempeh myself, but from the minor reading I've done - wikipedia's article, tempeh.info, TooManyChefs - it looks like it's best fresh, and I have no clue as to whether The Jungle would have it around anywhere.

If anybody out there can offer a little assistance in my continuing attempts to check out fmeat, feel free to do so.

3 comments:

Katydid said...

it looks like a mutant rice crispy treat...and i still don't want to eat it.

Sphincter said...

I know you may not believe this, but these make a killer chicken pot pie. (Well, chik'n pot pie maybe.)

http://www.lightlife.com/chickstrips.html

PHSChemGuy said...

Just because it doesn't look all meaty doesn't mean it wouldn't be a good thing, Katydid.

I'll try just about any fmeat once, Sphincter...