October 8, 2007

It's too warm...

We've had an frighteningly dry summer 'round the Cincinnati area. We've had, I think, one solidly rainy day in the past two or so months. The trees are turning colors earlier than they normally would, and it's still 90+ degrees around here.

The weather certainly isn't right for being three weeks into fall, but I'm ready for the heat to break and the season to change. I'm totally feeling the fall season.

I went to Friday night's PHS football game, and there are only a couple of things more indicative of fall than a good high school football game.

There's Harvest Homecoming, The Hometown's fall festival complete with the slightly cheating basketball games, roasted corn, and persimmon pudding just like Grandma used to make. I'm hoping to talk The Girl into heading into the hometown for an evening of fall festivities because, like I said, I'm feeling the fall season.

While I'm in town, I might just pick up a half gallon of Huber's hard cider. The Girl picked up a half gallon from The Jungle this past week, and I've been taking small glasses and sipping them slowly. It's absolutely amazing. Wonderful, great, rich, fall taste. Seriously, do yourself a favor an pick up a drink or two.

Then there's the entire world of pumpkin that shows up in the fall. There's the Velvet Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream, The Cone's pumpkin milkshakes, and The Girl's marvelous pumpkin pie - if I'm lucky.

If the weather would just cooperate. If we could just start using the word crisp instead of as a joke, then it would really start feeling like a bit of fall in the air.

I think I'm gonna go pick some leaves.

PS - Weather forecasters are now calling for a high of 61 degrees on Wednesday. Fall may finally be in the air.

PPS - Yup, too hot. Middletown - the hottest place in the US yesterday - is about 15 miles up the road from my house.

6 comments:

achilles3 said...

well I already planned on bringin "cool" into town but maybe I have room for some genuine chill:-)

joey said...

surprised I didn't see you at the game on friday, I was on my way down to UC and made the quick detour.

Oh and nice pictures on the school site.

DanEcht said...

Count yourselves somewhat lucky...it's 48 in Maine right now

Cantido said...

I can't wait for the storm on Tuesday to bring the temperature down to the 60's. It's also in the 90's in Springfield.

Captain Rob said...

Just turned cold here too - but dry is the word, we're about 8 inches shy of normal this year. Theres a "La Nina" winter predicted this year- which means the northeast is cool and snowy - not sure what that jetstream means to you...

good luck tho - Rob

PHSChemGuy said...

You're comin' in with a solid batch of cold, Lakes. Thanks...

Joey - ya should've come up to the back of the student section...it was good times...

We're way above 48, Echt...even now that the cold front's come through...

We'll take whatever we can get, Rob...la Nina or not...as long as it doesn't rain down damnation and hellfire, frogs and snakes, we'll manage...