December 25, 2007

Merry Christmas...and a moment of reflection...


It's an odd thing to celebrate this 1000th post.

I don't know that it's really much of an accomplishment outside of being an act of stuborness and determination, and I know that the 1000th post isn't really all that more special than any other around this number except that we like the look of the nice, round numbers so we celebrate them.

It's also somewhat of a bittersweet number because it means that the next landmarks are a number of years off...
  • 2.5 years = 1000 posts
  • so...7.5 years = 5000 posts
  • 25 years = 10000 posts
...and I don't know that I'll be doing this for the next twenty-plus years. If so, I can't imagine that the blog's going to look the same as it does now. First off, I need to get some sort of graphical header up top. It's an embarrassment that I'm still using the craptacular header that blogger offers up with its ever-so-stylish grey outline box. Plus, I'm thinking that in twenty years, that Googlezon will have found a better way for me to blog than all this manual labor of actually moving plastic pieces with letters painted on them. I'll probably just have a stream of consciousness recording that everybody will be able to download directly into their cerebral cortex from theis feed tube.

By the same token, I'm willing to celebrate whatever the accomplishment is just because I kinda dig talking to you folks in this way. Admittedly, it's not exactly the purest kind of psychiatric couch - it being linked from my school site, as I always point out, kind of limits the topics that I'm willing to cover - but it's an experience both cathartic and connecting to offer up my thoughts and links (wow, can there be anything more frivolous than posting a link to a neat online game and claiming that it's my most significant thought of the day or more hubristic than thinking anybody will give a crap?) to you.

The real joy, however, is in knowing that somebody's been listening, and the comments that you folks leave are what makes this gig truly worthwhile.

Thanks to you, Calen, Katydid, Danecht, Andrew, Craig, ColdNorthGamer, CoachSullivan, Rob, the Transbuddhas, tl, Ame, RuffRyder, Grace, Kyle, Achilles3, CollectedEditions, others who I'm sadly forgetting, and a whole lot more lurkers, some of whom I'm aware of - Rachel, Ashley, Morgan, I'm talking to you - but based on my Google Analytics stats, a number of whom I don't know.

To you loyal readers, I pledge to keep doing what I've been doing for at least a while longer...but better than ever.

Any requests for post topics? Has there been any times when you've thought wonder what chemguy thinks about this?

If so, throw down the topic, and I'll pledge to post about it with reasonable haste.

Oh, and if anybody's in need of some holiday cheer, might I recommend this cartoon.

Thanks for sticking with me...

Countdown to 1000: Are you serious? This is it. The big one...get with it, spudboy, and have a merry christmas...

4 comments:

DanEcht said...

A big merry Christmas and congratulations! I have no suggestions for topics, but I'll read whatever you've got. Here's to many more, and hopefully my own thousand!

calencoriel said...

Dude, I'll be thrilled to make it to 100. Thanks for the insight, the games I've never clicked on, reviews of comics I'll never read, making me want to see way more movies than I'll ever have time to see and pissing me off from time to time.

It's never boring when you click over here, that's for sure.

Happy 1000 and Happy Christmas, Chemguy.

achilles3 said...

I love your blog and look forward to it everyday!

congrats!

PHSChemGuy said...

then I'll keep doing what I've been doing, DanEcht...thanks for the kind wishes...

and from Calen and Achilles, too...

it's always a pleasure...