December 5, 2007

Taking another mindless day

Because I'm taking another day to throw down something that doesn't require any real thoughts...maybe some emotion on Thursday...

Thanks, as is usually the case, is owed to wikipedia...

My five favorite films nominated for Best pic in the 1990s
  1. Unforgiven
  2. Quiz Show
  3. Goodfellas
  4. The Thin Red Line
  5. American Beauty
  6. Wow...I would not have guessed Pulp Fiction to be aced out of the list...this is a really, really strong start of the twenty five
My five favorite films nominated for best pic in the 1980s
  1. Field of Dreams
  2. Raging Bull
  3. Raiders of the Lost Arc
  4. Amadeous
  5. Rain Man
My five favorite films nominate for best pic in the 1970s
  1. Apocalypse Now
  2. The Godfather, Part II
  3. Chinatown
  4. The Godfather
  5. MASH
  6. Another tough list - had to leave off The Sting, American Graffiti, Jaws, and Nashville...
My five favorite films nominated for best pic in the 1960s
  1. Dr Strangelove, or how i stopped worrying and learned to love the bomb
  2. The Hustler
  3. Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid
  4. Lawrence of Arabia
  5. The Graduate
My five favorite films nominated for best pic in the 1950s
  1. The Bridge on the River Kwai
  2. 12 Angry Men
  3. Ben-Hur
  4. On the Waterfront
  5. High Noon
Oh, and this appears to be post #978...in case you were keeping track...looks like it'll be close on hitting the magic number around New Years...

6 comments:

achilles3 said...

My 90s nom films list

Life is Beautiful
Braveheart
American Beauty
Shawshank Redemption
Pulp Fiction

BUT my favorite 2 movies of the 90s were The Truman Show (98) and Groundhog Day (93). Both genius in my book.

coachsullivan said...

Well, I must have my say (favorites, not best, right?):

90's
1. Shawshank Redemption
2. The Insider
3. Saving Private Ryan
4. Unforgiven
5. Silence Of The Lambs

80's
1. Raiders Of The Lost Arc
2. Field Of Dreams
3. Amadeus
4. Mississippi Burning
5. Platoon

70's
1. Rocky
2. The Godfather
3. Star Wars
4. The Godfather Part II
5. Jaws

60's
1. Guess Who's Coming To Dinner
2. The Hustler
3. The Sound Of Music
4. Romeo And Juliet
5. To Kill A Mockingbird

50's
Honest to God, I've never seen a single winner or nominee...and I own about a dozen of them in my movie collection. For shame

40's
1. Casablanca
2. The Philadelphia Story
3. Miracle On 34th Street
4. Citizen Kane
5. The Great Dictator

I think my goal whenever I have any free time (yeah, right) is going to be to watch every nominated movie.

coachsullivan said...

While I'm at it...post-2000:

1. Good Night And Good Luck
2. LOTR: The Fellowship Of The Ring
3. Moulin Rouge
4. Gladiator
5. The Queen

PHSChemGuy said...

Sully...good to see you 'round these parts...it's been a while...

Lakes...haven't seen Life is Beautiful...loved Braveheart but felt too close having just come back from Scotland that summer, don't feel I can judge it fairly & haven't seen it since...Shawshank was one I saw twice before I could get all the way through it - tore me up so much when he got thrown into solitary that I turned it off or walked away, but I will say that the payoff was worth it once I did finally get through...

And The Truman Show is thoroughly underrated...a spectacular film all around...great performances, great concept, great script...marvelous work that I can only imagine will grow in stature...

Sully, by decade...yes, these are very much your favorites, not at all the best...

90s...haven't seen The Insider and still haven't watched (even though I have your copy) Saving Private Ryan...Silence is too gruesome for my tastes...

80s...haven't seen Mississippi Burning...Platoon is just too far into the war for me...it's very hard for me to enjoy a war film...

70s...Star Wars sucks...it has aged horribly and become a far, far lesser film (triology) upon repeated viewings for me...ignoring the new triology entirely, the original three are impossible for me to watch - hoaky, poorly acted, badly written - the kiss between Luke & Leia makes the first film absolutely impossible...

60s...Sound of Music all but cut out the part that I played on stage a few years back, so it's dead to me...Mockingbird is powerful but not one I enjoy...Romeo - seriously, the teenage version?...I'll pass...Guess Who's is another I should watch...

50s were tough for me...

I'll check the newest films and report back on my five, though I think I've done that one before...your first four are outstanding...haven't seen The Queen...

PHSChemGuy said...

Ok, after checking...my favorite nominated films of the 2000's...

1. Moulin Rouge!
2. Traffic
3. Brokeback Mountain
4. Fellowship of the Rings
5. Good Night, and Good Luck
6. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
7. Chicago
8. Munich

coachsullivan said...

I actually check the site every day. However, both my work computers, at the hospital and the basketball office, for some reason will not allow me to post comments on blogspot. Weird. So it can only be done at home during the evenings, but between practices, games, and on the road recruiting, I wind up with very little free time to spend blogging or responding. Sucks.