March 20, 2008

Looking at lists

Because Entertainment Weekly is really just a bunch of fluff...

Their list of their favorite immortals with comments:
  • Connor MacLeod of Highlander - one of my favorite films...love it...the Sonnery Spanish/Scottish accent...the weirdo/artsy fades...the great Queen score...how do I not own this?
  • Angel & Spike of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" - the strange love between Spike & Buffy left me cold, but the Spike character was at least interesting
  • Legolas from those Rings things - in seeing the movies, I never thought of him as immortal...seemed like there was some chance he'd die in the fight scenes, hence wasn't immortal
  • Thomas/Tommy/Com Creo of The Fountain - the image that they have on the list makes the makup look horrible, but I enjoyed the film (as my review said)...I don't know that I'd say the guy was immortal, but I can't say difinitively that I thought he wasn't either...there are still a number of things I didn't get about the film
  • Orlando of Orlando - I've been obsessing about this film of late as I have the soundtrack and have been listening to it a lot lately...can't find it anywhere unless I break down and buy it...it's one I've seen a couple of times and have very fond memories of - though that's been a while
  • Zeus of Clash of the Titans - what an awful movie, one I couldn't tear my eyes from whenever it was on TBS as I grew up...horrible, entrancing film
  • Nick Night of Forever Knight - never seen it
  • Q of "Star Trek: The Next Generation" - I've only seen a couple of his episodes, but he was an enjoyable if a bit foppish character...truly a throwback to the old-school "Star Trek" episodes when they'd suddenly find themselves on a planet that was stuck in the 1940s or in Anceint Greece...always a bonus
  • The Oracle of The Matrix - first movie good, other films crap...she was a near character, but she certainly doesn't make this list for me
  • Peter Pan - again, meh
  • Grim Reaper of Bill & Ted's various - hilarious semi-foil to the boys...good times in both the flicks...sadly they've fallen out of the rotation
  • Pinhead of Hellraiser - never seen it
  • Dream of The Sandman - I just finished up reading the second Absolute Sandman volume, and I'd forgotten just how amazing is the run of stories that Gaiman put together...I look forward to getting the next two volumes as they drip out over the next year or so...an amazing tale from start to finish
  • God of Dogma - she's just so cute and bubbly...how could ya do anything but love her in this role...
  • Satan of South Park - he's certainly got his kinks and weirdities but he can still be pretty fearsome when it's his time to be so
  • Adam Monroe of "Heroes" - again, never seen it

  • I'd take Death over Dream from The Sandman, but it's not a bad list...
Their list of their favorite fairy tale flicks...
  • Enchanted - never seen it
  • "Snow White: a tale of terror" - never seen it
  • Cinderella - ya can't go without a Disney flick on a list like this, huh...I don't know that I've seen this one all the way through in one sitting, though I do remember having a series of Disney treasurey books with stills from this and lots of the other classic Disney films in it...loved the books
  • Sleeping Beauty - 'bout the same as Cinderella...
  • Legend - now we're talkin'...this is another one from my childhood that I couldn't ever turn the channel from...loved it to death and might be my favorite Tom Cruise film...love Tim Curry's part, love Mia Sara, love the sprites and the brownies...good times
  • Aladdin - this one I saw in teh theater, I remember that...entertaining the first time through, though I think the schtick of Robin Williams will make for a quicker age for this than for most of the Disney films of its ilk
  • Ella Enchanted - haven't seen it, though it kind of looked entertaining
  • Pan's Labyrinth - not a fairy tale, not a fairy tale at all...amazing film, marvelously well done but certainly not a fairy tale in the least...no happiness here
  • Stardust - haven't seen it, though the combo of Danes and Gaiman means I probably should
  • La Belle et La Bete - that's ferign ur somethin, right?
  • Shrek - I enjoyed it, but things got weaker after the first one...and I've seen it too many times to enjoy it anymore
  • The Princess Bride - wonderful...a classic of childhood for me...marvelous, note-perfect throughout
  • The Wizard of Oz - surprisingly, I still enjoy the heck out of this one...and "Wicked" helped me to enjoy it even more
  • The Neverending Story - way too sappy and sacharine to be enjoyable, and it's one of my favorite movies from childhood...don't think I've seen it in a dozen years, and it's probably best that it stay that way...I'm guessing I wouldn't enjoy it all that much now, even though it is basically a puppet show
Let's try basketball movies...
  • Semi-Pro - I'm guessing it's horrible, but it may age well...haven't seen it
  • Love & Basketball - not a good start for me, haven't seen this either
  • Glory Road - 0-3 so far
  • Hoop Dreams - I had a tape of this one a while back from when it was shown on its 10th anniversery on PBS with an update of both focuses of the documentary...it's absolutely heart-breaking and one of the best sports documentaries ever...hands down, ever
  • Hoosiers - my favorite film of all time...I cry every time I see it...the original (without the cuts that you can see on the newest DVD version) would've been even better if it existed
  • The Heart of the Game - haven't seen it
  • He Got Game - with my new-found respect for Spike, I should see this one sometime soon
  • Hardwood - never even heard of it
  • Coach Carter - never seen it
  • White Men Can't Jump - entertaining stuff, not a spectacular film, but certainly a fun way to kill an afternoon
  • Above the Rim - never seen it, though the little blurb makes me really curious
  • Pistol: birth of a legend - I saw this once on a Saturday afternoon, and it was so sappy but so fun...I'd kind of like to see it again
  • Rebound: the legend of Earl 'the goat' Manigault - again, never heard of it
  • The Fish that Saved Pittsburgh - I'm embarrased to say that I've never seen this one, either

  • How have I not seen nine of their 14 favorite basketball films?
Favorite movie musicals...
  1. The Wizard of Oz - It is a classic, and I enjoy it. I don't know that it's the greatest ever, but it's top five. At least they ordered things so it's not just "a list of favorites" in no particular order.
  2. West Side Story - never seen it
  3. Singin' in the Rain - I'd take this over Wizard, not as my favorite, necessarily, but Wizard feels more magical than musical to me
  4. Cabaret - never seen it
  5. Mary Poppins - too sappy by half to be enjoyable, though the bit about the penny-pinching banker is entertaining...Dick Van Dyke's accent is horrific
  6. The Band Wagon - never heard of it
  7. A Hard Day's Night - a musical?...I guess it is...it's a lot of fun with the whole plot of the sect trying to steal Ringo's ring...hilarious and fun from the four MopTops
  8. South Park: Bigger, Longer, Uncut - probably the only one of the list that I own and love more than any of the others
  9. Meet Me in St. Louis - I have to admit that I had a bit of a crush on Judy Garland in this movie - the fake red hair kinda did it for me...fun songs
  10. Love Me Tonight - huh?
  11. An American in Paris - meh, never seen or been interested in seeing it
  12. Swing Time - I've seen photos of it
  13. On the Town - perhaps this list was a mistake for me to run through
  14. Grease - ah, back into my wheelhouse...this is a fun bit of kitzsch and throwback to a time that may or may not have ever existed...and it's surprisingly dirty...listen to the words of "Greased Lightnin'" if you don't know what I'm talking about
  15. Hairspray - Amellia? any help?
  16. A Star is Born - nope, not this either
  17. Chicago - robbed, I'd put it at least five spots higher...much better than those other movies I haven't seen
  18. The Busby Berkeley Disc - wait, that's not even a movie
  19. The Sound of Music - I've been in a production of it, but I've never seen the movie
  20. Funny Girl - funny lookin'
  21. Beauty and the Beast - interesting, an animated musical...I guess South Park made it...good stuff...saw this in the theater and surprisingly enjoyed it
  22. Gigi - nope, not this either
  23. The Music Man - never seen it
  24. Seven Brides for SEven Brothers - I've seen one of the dance numbers, probably the big one...does that count?
  25. Once - G, I promise to see this soon

  26. Where's Guys & Dolls?
We're too long already, so I'll save the 80's teen sex comidies and sinister Satans for another day...'til tomorrow, folks...

3 comments:

achilles3 said...

Peter Pan is my hero!
Stardust is great!
See West Side Story!
I'll cry watching Hoosiers until the day I die!

TL said...

Yes, I just watched Stardust a couple of nights ago and it was really a delight... It harkened back to good old fashioned fantasy movies of my past. No great moral, really, just a great adventure! I'd say more, but my gaming buddies just showed up... :)

PHSChemGuy said...

Glad to hear good things about Stardust - initial reviews weren't strong, but the interview with Gaiman on NPR intrigued me...

hope the gaming went well, TL...