April 15, 2008

And in the food news...

The Waffle House online menu may not reflect it just yet, but Casa de Barquillo has added biscuits and gravy, and apparently they're selling the dickens out of them. The Girl and I took a Sunday breakfast, and I tried the new menu item with a little trepidation, afterall, The Girl makes some dang tasty B's & G's (more on that in a few lines).

The biscuits weren't exactly homemade. Nor were they the highly butter versions that you get at some placed and that leave you craving a spoonful of jam. These were a decent, frozen, premade biscuit that was split and lightly toasted. They then spooned a couple of labels across the two biscuits and handed it right across.

I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the gravy. They'd said that it was made from a mix with milk and freshly cooked sausage, and I wasn't expecting too much. Instead, I got what I would consider a good, nice gravy. It was nicely rich and creamy and had a little bite to it. It wasn't what I would call bold, but it wasn't too bad. I don't know that it'll be replacing the bacon, egg, and cheese sandwich that's my usual, but it'll make its way into the rotation.



The Girl's recipe for sausage gravy, by the way...a roll of Jimmy Dean bold sausage, fried up to a nicely dark color and then drained...back into the pan with flour for a few seconds to let everything coat well...and skim milk...let it simmer...

Amazingly simple, but it's awesome. Packs a really nice kick - she used to add a dozen different spices to get things to a nice level, but the bold sausage takes care of that for her. The biscuits are usually a simple Bisquick biscuit - mix plus water.

Makes for a really simple, very much enjoyed breakfast from time to time.



Do yourself a favor and go out and try a Havana Cola. They were being sampled at Taste of the World this past November, and The Girl and I have had a few six packs in the fridge since then.

It's not the cheapest cola around, but the coolness of a sugar cane cola - there really is a vast difference - is really nice. It's got an entirely different taste from the corn syrup colas that most of us are used to anymore.

Good stuff



In searching for a link to the Garden Fresh Gourmet Artichoke & Garlic Salsa (known simply as The Good Salsa around Casa de ChemGuy), I stumbled upon The Salsa Review, and I'm thinking I should try a few of the salsa's out and compare to the reviews found there before trusting her reviews blankly.

And she clearly needs a way to search for salsa's by spiceness index. I wanna find the 10's even if I don't want to eat them.

2 comments:

achilles3 said...

Having worked at The Waffle part time between the ages of 15 1/2 to 24ish...i can honestly say that I feel bad for the wait staff to have to put up with one more menu item.

If I had a nickel for every time I heard:
"Archillis...what the hell kinda name is that? wait. an yer tellin me ya got grits but ya don't got biskits and graaaaavy???

Oh the memories...
BTW I'm white trash by blood and worked at The Waffle so I can say whatever I want ;-)

TL said...

My husband loves cane sugar soft drinks... I tend to stick to water or the occasional juice.

Once in a while, we play the "let's try to avoid high fructose corn syrup" game. It can be rather hard unless you have extra cash to spend.