April 18, 2008

Three things - not even remotely related



This graph is gorgeous. It presents huge amounts of data - GDP per capita by country, survey results within each country, and average satisfaction on a 10-pt scale by country - but it presents the data in an amazingly clear fashion, allowing anyone to quickly see that there is a clear pattern in the satisfaction vs income data of nations as we shift the average GDP per capita of those nations.

The original article containing the graph can be found here, and it's a moderately interesting article. The graph, however, is way better than the article.



I have now, officially had the best brownies in the world. The recipe from king Arthur Flour is surprisingly simple, and it makes a brilliantly fudgy brownie with a nice, slightly-crunchy top. Outstanding stuff, though I do warn you that I had the variety without nuts, 'cause that's how I likes my brownies. I cannot vouch for the nutty version.
Chocolate chips will provide tiny molten pockets of chocolate within the greater brownie landscape. Add them if your desire for fudginess knows no bounds.
And they are correct...yum...



Apparently we got a trembler here in the Midwest this morning.

I was up and checking the interwebs at 5:30 but sadly didn't feel a thing.

You can check out the major media's craptacular reporting of the event or some significantly better reporting of the same. Your call.

I won't judge you either way.

It did remind me, however, that there is a heck of a fault line running through the heart of our country, something that Iven Browning did, at least, teach me.

3 comments:

achilles3 said...

I HEART brownies!

The Eco of Happiness has been a great by Justin Wolfers from the Freakonomics blog. He's breakin it down in 5 parts! Freakin NERDTASTIC!

http://freakonomics.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/04/16/the-economics-of-happiness-part-1-reassessing-the-easterlin-paradox/

achilles3 said...

great read

PHSChemGuy said...

And those brownies are amazing...absolutely amazing.

I'll take a read through the full article, Lakes. Thanks.