November 26, 2008

Distorting the world to reveal the truth


I stumbled across a CNN.com article about a book and website Atlas of the Real World in which computer mapping tools have been used to redraw the world map according to various statistics other than land area.

Up above, you'll see the map of AIDS deaths around the world as of 2002. There's also detailed information about this map available, as there is for every one of their maps found on their website where they offer their six hundred or so maps and information entirely for free.

Always good to see people finding new ways to present information to us.

2 comments:

achilles3 said...

AND I heard it on NPR...

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=97338308

also spent like 90 minutes on that incredible site!

PHSChemGuy said...

I'm never surprised that you're more in the know than I am, man. I dig the maps site, and I'm not at all surprised that you spent that much time there.