January 13, 2009

In honor of my 7th bell class

A few years ago, my seventh bell class - maybe...I know it was my first class after lunch that year - asked if they could put a cd in a microwave in class. They argued that it was science so they should be able to do it, and they knew that I had a microwave in my storage room.

Nope, I said, that microwave is food only, used to heat up lunches for the four teachers sharing the storage room's common space. I didn't want to damage it. If they wanted to buy their own microwave, however, I'd let them do it. (As an aside, I knew they'd never get enough money together to buy a microwave, so I was safe...)

...until one of them piped up with "I work at Wal-Mart, and we've got a microwave on sale for $25 right now."

Crap...in like two minutes, they had $20 on the table, and by the next day they'd pooled enough to buy the microwave and a crappy toaster so they could try the strawberry Pop-Tart blowtorches.

In honor of that class, long gone from the halls of Princeton, I present today's awesomness: the MicroManiancs, a website on which the stars microwave various things until they are destroyed...and film it...and let us watch.

I particularly recommend checking out the foam.

3 comments:

ReJEcht said...

Didn't your much cooler AP class do that last year?

CrimsonMirage said...

This is literally the best thing ever...the Christmas lights one made my day.

PHSChemGuy said...

Oh, a lot of classes since then have enjoyed that microwave. Yes, the AP class was one of them.

I dunno, Crimson, the foam made my day.