May 4, 2009

The glories of River Falls

Dude, I miss the malls back home.

There were - still sort of are - two mirrored malls in the small town bordering The Hometown. They're major shopping complexes in the Kentuckiana area, drawing - I'm gonna make a quick estimate here - like a billion people every year to the mecca of commerce that is Eastern Boulevard.

I mean, they have Wikipedia pages, for heaven's sake.

(An aside: is it heaven's sake or heaven sakes or heaven's sakes, huh?)

I remember hitting River Falls on its opening weekend when I was a sophomore in high school.

I remember playing mini golf at the upstairs course for the first step in my bachelor party as planned by The Best Man.

I had my first two dates with The Girl there - Alice and L.A. Story - as well as one of our final dates when she cut me loose in college after seeing Jurassic Park. Still hate that film.

I remember stealing a a shopping cart on Fathers' Day eve from the Wal-Mart attached to River Falls.

I miss the aimless idling around the upstairs of River Falls, killing Friday and Saturday nights in small parts of our seemingly giant (probably eight or ten most weekends) group of friends.

Gamer, CoachSullivan, can I get a shout out for the demise of River Falls?

5 comments:

Murr Nation said...

It is for the sake of a singular heaven. So "heaven's sake."

Anonymous said...

Yes, those were some good old days. I still have a month before #2 and #35, so I'm not yearning for my youth too much, yet. It will come, I'm sure. I remember LA Story, but Alice? I remember the many games of air hockey, oh, and the many babes to whom we did not talk...

coachsullivan said...

Wasn't there nearly a "rumble" at River Falls one weekend between a group from New Albany and one from Floyd Central? I remember a lot of miniature golf and the Tumbleweed cafe upstairs. Aside from those things and the movie theatre, I think overall I still preferred Green Tree. Of course, that's what I was familiar with my whole life prior to River Falls going up, what, our sophomore year?

ame said...

You all are sounding old, I had my first date at River Falls when I was in seventh grade. Dad dropped me off. Poor guy, I thought he would have a heart attack, Mom didn't tell him I was meeting a boy.

PHSChemGuy said...

Gamer - Alice was the first date between me and The Girl, yeah. There was a bunch of air hockey. Good times...

Sullivan - I vaguely remember that more as a rumbling that something was going to happen but certainly never came to anything. Loved the miniature golf course there. Yeah, River Falls opened up our sophomore year.

Ame - Nice of mom to keep him in the dark there. I can imagein he was about to crap himself.