August 27, 2009

There but for fortune, go you or I...or I...


I know I've thrown down with Tiny Ghosts before, but I just had to throw this one out there and follow up with a solid and befuddled what the frick?

Seriously, our gubment had two nuclear bombs drop out of a plane over North Carolina in the 1960's and was totally unable to recover one of them - the one which successfully went through five of its six safety systems and was fully ready to arm and detonate itself?

Holy broken arrow, Batman.

Check the details out at Wikipedia, ibiblio, or UNC's library.

Seriously?

We've got to stop making crap like this before some nutcase goes all Jack D Ripper on us.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

In the pilot's defense, the plane did break up in mid air and crash, it wasn't like they just dropped them out the window by accident.

calencoriel said...

You know, the funny thing is...the first time I saw that Tiny Ghosts spot, and before I read the caption, I thought the shadow thingy was a shark.

I was confused.

DanEcht said...

Like Airplane.

PHSChemGuy said...

I can see the shark thing, Calen. Fins, tail, yeah.

Chris - well, yeah. They didn't intend to bomb their own country. But I'm thinking we need to have some sort of on-off switch that can't be flipped to the on position by accident.

Any Airplane reference is appreciated around these parts, Dan.