October 28, 2009

Surprising dispatches from the homeland



I had no idea...none what so ever.

I assume that the family all knew about this since The Pater Familias teaches at New Albany High School and my sister - an occasional commenter here - teaches and is involved in the dram program at the middle school feeding into Floyd Central High School.

Kinda looking forward to seeing the program, however, especially since I just got finished seeing PHS's significantly lower budget production of Zombie Prom this past weekend.

Feel free to check out a review, the trailer (as above), the sketchy imdb page, or a gushing personal account.

I'm going to see if I can hunt down a copy of the flick.

3 comments:

Ame said...

I have some really conflicting feelings on this one. Many of my former students are featured and thats awesome, but I also heard horror stories from many of the kids.

The director encouraged to talk about issues and things that were upsetting to them. He even went as far as pushing one student to come out on camera who had not even told his family. Additionally they stuck cameras in everyones face. I was having a conversation with the FC director and the NA directors outside of a show and we looked up to find a camera in our faces with no warning. They also followed the students to classes disrupting academics. Of course I know one teacher (you know him too) who literally slammed the door in their faces.

Overall I heard NA and FC come off looking spoiled and rich and Jeff High looks great.

Anonymous said...

Wait! Drama is important in Southern Indiana? When did that happen? And, don't they have to get sign-offs from the schools to take cameras into classrooms? Why would the principals go for this? Does the school system need money that badly?

PHSChemGuy said...

Ame - I'm still curious to see the film, but I'm not at all surprised to hear that the filmmakers were more interested in getting a good film than they were in letting everyone involved tell their real stories and leave nothing but footprints behind.

Further evidence of the detrimental effects of reality tv.

Gamer - That's what I hear.

I'm sure the entire district had to sign off on this, and I don't know why anyone ever would.

I know that MTV approached my district about seven years ago asking about the possibility of filming a show leading up to prom. Apparently - and I wasn't in on the negotiations, so this is all second- and third-hand - we explored the possibility for about two days and then said hell no.