November 30, 2009

NASA and NPR - two of my favorite acryonyms

First, most of the images from the recently released NASA pics of the space shuttle mission are passable, moderately interesting.

But this one...the last glimpse of light through the atmosphere's thin blue sheen is gorgeous and will be one of my desktop backgrounds at school tomorrow.



And secondly, I am often amazed with NPR, and two stories in particular caught my ear today.

Kyle pointed out a story from this morning in which Neil Gaiman spoke on his love of audio books and interviewed David Sedaris.  Listening to Neil is marvelous enough, but when Sedaris's lilting lisp is thrown in, things can't get much better.

Then, there was the story on the way home today in which they discussed the challenges of dating in the age, handholding in the age of handhelds.  The story is marvelously well reported and worth a listen if only to hear them refer to something as a menage-a-tweet - a man, a woman, and an iPhone.

2 comments:

Slug said...

Had you seen this article about butterflies in space?

Firest two butterflies hatch in space

PHSChemGuy said...

I hadn't seen that at all. It's cool all the experiments that get chosen to be done on the space station and which, I'm sure, get rejected.

I wonder if there's a repository of which experiments have been done up there.