August 24, 2010

A national crisis hits home...

It's one thing when there's some vague, nebulous, national pumpkin shortage.

Even when the pumpkin shortage from last fall edges toward this fall and prime pie season.

It's another thing entirely when my local ice creamery puts out a plea like this...
Currently, the US is experiencing a nationwide shortage of pumpkin. Bring in a 30 oz can of Libby's Pumpkin Pie Mix and receive a $5.00 gift card! For a 15oz can, receive a $2.50 gift card!
At this point, they're threatening my favorite ice cream.

This isn't a joke any more, folks.

Update:  Luckily things seem to have worked out somewhat for The Cone.  The "Pumpkin Is Back" note on the marquee today drew The Girl and me for a pair of medium pumpkin cones.  While we were there, we apologized that we didn't have any pumpkin to donate (didn't add that The Girl has been hoarding our one last can since last Thanksgiving).  The girl taking our order said things were okay - that the community had come out and that Canada didn't have a shortage and that he (the Cone's owner) had just gotten a big order from Canada.

Who knew?  Canada, our pumpkin saviors. 

They're not just America's hat anymore.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

OMG I didn't know about this. I hope I get my pumpkin pie this year. That's my favorite part about fall

PHSChemGuy said...

I'll check the shelves tomorrow and see what's up with the supply and get back to you.