December 14, 2010

I don't get it...

Legends and Leaders?

Seriously, those are the two new division names in the Big Ten starting with the addition of Nebraska?

Legends and Leaders?

The newly-titled Leaders will be Illinois, Indiana, Ohio State, Penn State, Purdue, Wisconsin.


The Legends are Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Nebraska, Northwestern.



According to the article, "the main factors were competitive balance, maintaining rivalries, and then geography."

Well, as long as all the major rivalries are still intact within the divisions.  You know, the rivalries like Michigan-Ohio State...Wisconsin-Minnesota.

This is dumb.

As is the new logo.


Even the list of the eighteen new football awards - all named for two football legends (or leaders, I don't know) in Big Ten history.  They were so desperate to include as many names as possible that they had to dip all the way down to Antwaan Randal El to include Indiana.  Even still, how does this not make all the non-football sports feel even more like second-class citizens in the athletic world than they already were?

Dumb...across the board...dumb...

4 comments:

coachsullivan said...

I'm a little disappointed that they didn't name the kicker of the year award for IU legend Pete Stoyanovich. Guess if you had to go with two Hoosiers Anthony Thompson and Randle-El are good choices. Given our stellar football showings the last century or so, I guess it's lucky we got any mention at all.

Grace said...

I JUST finished reading about the new logo on a design blog I read. Definitely not a fan... I knew what the logo was for and it still took me a minute to figure it out.

Anonymous said...

Ugly, ugly, ugly. My other sad thought is that Purdue football will be a perennial 3-4 place team in their division. Atleast they didn't get Nebraska every year. I want to see the basketball awards names: they should be able to go 36 deep; go ahead, coachsullivan, start naming.

PHSChemGuy said...

Sully - My first clook was to see if Indiana had any players mentioned. Thompson seems a very reasonable choice, but Randal-El seems a bit of a stretch.

Grace - The logo is straight up hilarious, but I'm curious to see what actual designers have to say about it. Share the link, would ya?

Joey - Things haven't been the same since Bobby Knight left.

Gamer - I hope to heck they actually do have basketball awards to match the football ones. I get that they couldn't have as many (fewer positions), but it would be great to see Steve Alford or Kent Benson...or one of those Boilermakers, I guess...with an award named after them. Maybe Glenn Robinson can get the award for best performance by an academic non-qualifier...or Rick Mount could have an award for the best performance by a guy who repeated 8th grade.