March 31, 2011

They'll never know...

I'm sure this list could be created every few years about the next group of folks...

Here's my list of things that new folks will never know and that somehow seems sad to me.

They'll never know...
  • ...that stamps had to be licked.
  • ...artists used to fret over the order of songs on their album.
  • ...how to tell time on an analog clock.
  • ...the joys of being out of touch with the world.
  • ...what a dial tone sounds like.
  • ...how to call up a library and ask a question.
  • ...why a library catalog used to be a card catalog.
  • ...the joys of traveling to Canada to buy a special release cd for Sarah McLachlan because it's not released in the US.
So, what else should be added to this list?

    4 comments:

    cmorin said...

    Maybe not this generation, but I bet within the next few, smoking cigarets will be very very unpopular

    Katydid said...

    Learning cursive.

    calencoriel said...

    That long distance used to actually cost money...

    What a collect call is or how to place one.

    PHSChemGuy said...

    CMorin - I'm not entirely sure about that one. The stats have been heading downward from what I've read, but I don't know that we'll hit zero anytime soon.

    Katydid - Do any schools teach cursive anymore at all?

    Calen - I'd kind of forgotten about that first one, but I wonder if collect calls will still be needed in prison.