May 31, 2011

DC Comics to Relaunch All Titles at #1with Same Day Digital Sales


Big news from DC today...as reported by Comics Alliance...
The entire DC Comics line of comic books will be re-launched with new #1 issues and feature "younger" and cosmetically redesigned versions of the heroes of the DC Universe. Written by Geoff Johns and illustrated by Jim Lee, Justice League will be the first of the more than 50 titles to debut in September, each of which will go on sale with same day digital releases via DC's various mobile applications and Web store. The initiative is designed explicitly to make the DC Universe more palatable for new readers and, in the words of DC Comics Co-Publisher Dan DiDio, "today's audience."
While I'm initially geeked and a little scared by this announcement, the truest answer came from Owen in the comments...
New #1s or not all that will matter to me is if the books are good. If they've got good creative teams and all telling good stories then great.

This announcement/relaunch in no way draws me to or away from the books. The books themselves will do that.

Update: Got a better image. This one includes the entirety of the new Justice League. Thanks to Bleeding Cool for the continuing coverage.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't say I'm psyched about the re-launch, since I'm sure I'm not a part of the "younger" audience. If the stories are good and I like the artwork, then I'll continue to be reading the trade paperbacks that I can get from the library.

PHSChemGuy said...

That's about where I am, too.

I'm not buying comics at this point. I'm just catching them in the trades from the library - and reading a few at the bookstore if the library doesn't have them - so I'm not sure DC's exactly worried about me as a part of the market.