July 28, 2011

A little thanksgiving

One image from The Tree of Life that intrigued me was of a spiral of stained glass windows below which the camera twirled. The shot wasn't more than a few seconds, but the gorgeousness of the glass and the oddity of the receding spiral has stuck with me.

So I did a little hunting and found that the windows are actually part of the ceiling at the Chapel of Thanksgiving, the major architectural feature of Thanks-Giving Square in Dallas, Texas. Having been to Dallas, I'm a little disappointed that I didn't find time to see this beautiful building and its apparently pretty bucolic setting, including this Norman Rockwell mosaic which I know I've seen somewhere before...


But it's the chapel's Glory Window that was featured in Tree of Life. Stunning...









2 comments:

Katydid said...

Oooh...glad you hunted this down. Definitely one of the coolest brief images from the film - I thought it may have been just a Malick creation.

PHSChemGuy said...

Happy to help out. The image had stuck with me, and I'm willing to do your research.

Anything else you'd like to refer to your friendly, neighborhood blog librarian.