July 26, 2011

WLHS no more

After a busy spring laying new cable to improve their broadcast quality, the student-run radio station WLHS will be signing off in its current iteration sometime soon, a victim of all-too-common budget cutting. Looks like the broadcasting license will be taken over by WMKV, a self-described nostalgia station - which seems to mean olde timey radio shows, big band music, musical standards, and so much more - for at least the next three years.

I'll miss WLHS's dogged pursuit of playing new, interesting music bookended by apathetic teenagers showing the absolute maximum level of ennui and the absolute minimum level of connection with their audience. Sure, the resolute denial of anything that could date their show got old sometimes as did their gallows humor at playing another exciting PSA, but I'll miss the music.

Give a listen while they're still around - and hopefully when they get their new internet-only station up and running in the fall.

4 comments:

Katydid said...

Another one bites the dust, and like those long ago WOXY t-shirts, corporate radio still sucks.

Ame said...

So says the guy who worked for his high school station for 2 years, of course I was there 3 years.

coachsullivan said...

As much as I loved played basketball and tennis, I'd have to say that the time working the radio station was as much fun as I had in high school. And if I wasn't working, having it flipped on to listen to you and Wayne.

PHSChemGuy said...

Katydid - It's sad to see this one drift away, but I at least know it's not corporate radio taking it over. And there's the fact that they'll continue to exist online makes things a little better even if I can't listen to that in the car...yet.

Ame - Yeah, you were, indeed. I was the station music director my senior year. Top that.

Sully - The radio station was absolutely wonderful for lots of us.