August 22, 2011

Not Princeton High School...what to do?

So, a couple of years ago, Princeton High School set up a Facebook page. It's nothing really special or anything. It's fine. There are occasional and sometimes useful posts from time to time. That's not the story, though.

The story for today is that there's a separate page that's titled Princeton Vikings and uses the web address www.Facebook.com/PrincetonHighSchool. That page is the story for today.

See, that other page isn't managed by Princeton High School. It's managed by some anonymous person who - as far as I know - doesn't have any official connection to the Princeton City School District. I've spent the past couple of months trying to figure out how to correct this problem. See, Facebook doesn't have any way to say "hey, this facebook page says it's run by my employer but isn't actually run by my employer...can you make 'em take it down." They do have a link in the bottom left that says report page which leads to a pop-up asking what's up. The best I can put from their options is This profile is pretending to someone or is fake which leads to the question asking who/what they are pretending to be. I went with represents a business or an organization. I've also reported pretending to be someone I know but the page wouldn't let me enter that they were pretending to be Princeton High School and pretending to be a celebrity but they didn't seem to believe that Princeton High School was a celebrity.

The real problem I have here and now is that I've filed a couple of reports on this page via that report page link, and nothing's happened. I've searched around Facebook's help pages and can't seem to find anything that lets me email them directly to say that there's a fake Facebook page out there other than via the report page link. I've  emailed them with a 'security concern' and described the situation, but nothing seems to be happening.

I've got a question and a request.

First, does anybody have any advice as to how to go about getting the faux Princeton High School facebook page shut down?

And then, my request, in the meantime, would you be willing to go to the fake Princeton High School facebook page and make a report page request for me? I'm hoping that if my one voice won't get anything accomplished, maybe a chorus of voices will.

3 comments:

cmorin said...

reported it. it looks like theyre trying to make money selling old football game tapes. smh.

WV=fugno...... you figure it out.

Ame said...

Reported it. If I can remember too I will speak with my principal this week and see how he managed to get the HHMS page turned over to him. I suspect it was the students parents who took care if it, but just in case I will check.

PHSChemGuy said...

CMorin - Thanks. I have no problem with them selling game tapes on DVD. That's cool. My only problem is them saying they're Princeton High School. I can't imagine they're making much money on the DVDs, though.

Ame - Thanks. If I had any idea who this person was, I'd contact them directly, but I don't have any clue.