April 9, 2012

Another man's quest

I've tilted at my share of windmills in my time. Heck, I'm currently gathering every version of "Shenandoah" that I can find at PLCH and checking out the cd's ten at a time for a future post.

That's why I respect Chris over at A House of Lies for his Quest for the Most 90's Movie of All Time. I do wish he'd put up a leaderboard, however, so I wouldn't have had to make one for him...
  • Singles  - 114
  • Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead - 107 
  • Blank Check - 101 
  • I Know What You Did Last Summer - 101
  • The Truth About Cats and Dogs - 100
  • Airborne - 99
  • Independence Day - 96 
  • Mallrats - 96
  • Point Break - 95
  • Beethoven - 92
  • Jurassic Park - 90
  • Philadelphia - 89
  • You've Got Mail - 88
  • Hacker - 87 
  • The Bodyguard - 87
  • Kazaam - 86
  • Little Big League - 83 
  • The Santa Claus - 83
  • The First Wives Club - 82 
  • Varsity Blue - 82
  • Sister Act 2: Back in the Habit - 82
  • The Net - 78
  • Clueless - 75 
  • Encino Man - 75
  • 3 Ninjas - 74 
  • Happy Gilmore - 73
  • Face/Off - 71
  • Ace Venture - 70
  • Home Alone 2 - 69
  • Speed - 69 
  • The Devil's Advocate - 64
  • The mighty Ducks - 62 
  • Mrs Doubtfire - 62
  • The Fan - 60 
  • Outbreak - 49
  • Fear - 49
  • Kindergarten Cop - 33  
Sure, I could nitpick on a few details - the list is far too white, his scoring method hasn't ever been presented in it fullness, he hasn't seen New Jack City (though I did recommend it to him in his blog comments.)

Don't nitpick, though. Just enjoy the sweet, sweet 90's.

4 comments:

Smamy said...

I am personally offended that Gross Pointe Blank did not make the list.

PHSChemGuy said...

What makes Grosse Point Blank such an excellent example of the 90s?

John Cusack isn't definitively a 90s guy for me. Minnie Driver is all 90s, though.

It's not a movie about computers.

What makes it 90s?

Smamy said...

I guess a few reasons: 1) John Cusack is an actor that immediately comes to mind when I think of the 90s (late 90s). GPB, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, This is My Father, The Thin Red Line, The Jack Bull, and Pushing Tin....really enjoyed all of them for a variety of different reasons. I did not see him in Say Anything, and it was not until the 90s that I knew who he was....and have been a big fan since. 2)Add Minnie Driver, Joan Cusack....heck most of his siblings I think were in the movie!,Dan Ackroid (who made a second wave of fame in the 90s by trying to resurrect the blues brothers), and Hank Azaria and it just feels like a 90s cast. 3)Add to the fact that I put it in the "high school romance" genre (even though it was a "high school reunion"). To me that was a 90s theme. Possibly because I was in high school and those were the movies I ended up watching and enjoying, and 4)Possibly one of the better movie soundtracks of all time. The soundtrack was less like a sound track and more like a mixed tape that someone would have made...again, to me that was the 90s. After that, people burned CDs, etc. When I hear some of those songs I think of the movie and that time and it just feels like the 90s to me.

Just my opinion.

PHSChemGuy said...

It's a tough movie to nail down in time because it's a 90's movie about people who grew up in the 80's, so the music's all 80's music, and the stars - Akroyd and Cusack (Minnie Drive is, I'll give you that) aren't really 90's guys to me.

I love the movie, yeah, but it isn't about computer hacking and isn't all hip-hop clothing or baggy pants and color-block shirts.