June 18, 2012

Do you Hulu?

I'm a desperate cheapskate with a lot of spare time and yen for flicks. Let's see what Hulu has to offer for free.
  • Marie Antoinette - never seen it, Katydid's pretty hooked on it...probably worth a try
  • The Brothers Grimm - It's got Monica Belucci, and it's from Terry Gilliam. Those are two factors that draw the eye.
  • Gangs of New York - Marty Scorsese's always interesting. This one didn't do much for me, though.
  • Strictly Ballroom - Criminally underseen here in the US (probably in its native Aussie, too)...very early Baz Luhrmann...I'm watching this one as I type this entry. Fun stuff.
  • Swingers - I hate this movie but very much enjoyed it when I saw it the first time. If you haven't seen it before, give it a try. Very much a time capsule of an era.
  • Hero - Best movie I've ever seen. If you haven't watched this before, set aside two hours. Do Not Miss This.
  • The 5000 Fingers of Dr T - Dr Seuss's lone non-animated movie. It's weird and odd and surreal. Check it out.
  • Chicago - One of the better modern movie musicals.
  • My Sister's Boyfriend - My guess is that this is horrible, but it's got Alyssa Milano, on whom I have a massive crush.
  • Highlander - Also very much of an era here. I love this flick and am particularly impressed with the cinematography and score by Queen.
  • American Meth - Never seen it but fascinated by the subject
  • Meet Bill - The trailer looked intriguing a few years back, so this might be worth a try.
  • Frida - It was critically well received, so maybe I'll check it out.
  • Weird Science - The 80's...one of the canonical films of the decade
  • Revolver - I enjoyed the first two Guy Ritchie flicks (Lock, Stock and Snatch). For free, this is worth checking out.
  • The Secret of Kells - I figure if it was nominated for best animated feature, it's worth a free look.
  • Rifftrax: Night of the Living Dead - I've never seen the original...might as well see it mocked for free.
  • Hoop Dreams - one of the finest sports documentaries ever...tough to see because it's not all happy, but it's spectacular
  • The Kid - Never seen it, but it's supposed to be a classic.
  • Koyaanisqatsi - this one's certainly arthouse, but the soundtrack is brilliant and mesmerizing
  • Grant Morrison: Talking With Gods - The man's bonkers - not Alan Moore bonkers but still - and he's willing to talk about comic books for an hour plus. I'll try that.
  • The Woman in Green - I remember this fondly from a Saturday afternoon when I was young.
  • Charade - It's criminal that this is on the 45th page of Hulu movies as ranked by popularity. This is a classic Cary Grant film. Brilliant, hilarious, funny, charming, lighthearted.
  • Slacker - never seen Richard Linkliter's first film...maybe I'll give it a try
  • Wordplay - for a documentary about crossword puzzles, it's very enjoyable
  • Rifftrax: Reefer Madness - Another schlock classic...worth seeing it even if you don't listen to the gags
  • Little Shop of Horrors - For Jack Nicholson's part alone, this one's worth checking out.
  • Dil Se - I only know one song and production number from this film, but it's one of the more impressive ever. Wonder if the rest of the movie's worth watching.
  • The Man With the Golden Arm - One of the only glimpses we ever got of Frank Sinatra as a dramatic actor. Supposed to be impressive...

1 comment:

Ame said...

Strictly Ballroom is one of my all time fav movies. Saw it maybe 15 years ago out on DVD for sale, but was a poor college student at the time and didn't buy it. Been regretting it ever since.