March 26, 2013

Today's random ten is brought to you by...





Today's ten random songs...

  • "Girl From the North Country" by Dylan & Cash - This just might be my favorite song of all time. I love the reverence that Dylan shows to Cash throughout, particularly when Cash starts to sing the wrong verse. You can hear Dylan and Cash singing different words, and Dylan just slips right into Cash's choice. It's a beautiful song and a masterfully moving performance of it. Plus it's Dylan in his Nashville Skyline voice.
  • "Little Tina" by Creedence Clearwater Revival - I wanted a couple of CCR tracks that weren't on the two Chronicles a few years back and mistakenly grabbed a six-disc boxed set of CCR. That's way more CCR than I have any interest in having around. Of course, all it costs me is electrons at this point, so I'm keeping them. This one's a'ight but nothing special
  • "Ship of Fools" by Robert Plant - I'll put Plant's post-Zep career up against most anybody leaving an all-time great band. This song's nice and easy going and comes from a greatest hits disc, not from the original Now and Zen. That's an album that Calen and I got to hear nearly in its entirety a few weeks back at halftime of the PHS-Centerville game 
  • "Sinaloa Cowboys" by Bruce Springsteen - The Ghost of Tom Joad is a haunting album, spare and bare of anything unnecessary. There isn't a lot of joy on the entire disc, and this one fits the theme. That being said, the album is one of Bruce's finest, filled to the brim with heatbreaking stories.
  • "Snow Angel" by Ryan Adams - A couple of years back I went hunting some of Ryan Adams's unreleased songs and ended up torrenting four-hundred-plus tracks of his, many of which come from a collection marked as Rough and Mellow as does this one. It's a piano tune - more instrumental than song at times - that was played in Minneapolis in late 2000, right around the time of Heartbreaker. I've only made it through about half the full torrent. 
  • "Spring Cleaning" by Bright Eyes/Neva Dinova - Connor Oberst is an interesting sort, a bit like Ryan Adams to me in that they're both outstanding songwriters who might be a little too prolific and unguided for their own good. This tune, sung with the band Neva Dinova on a joint release is pretty enough but nothing to write home about.
  • "The Ballad of Cat Ballou" by Nat 'King' Cole and Stubby Kaye - Fun times, fun western staring Jane Fonda from long, long ago. The best part of the movie, though, might be the repeated appearances of these two as wandering minstrels both advancing the story and providing musical relief.
  • "The Other Side of Town" by Steve Earle - The song sounds far older than its true age with Earle having included some record scratches in the mix. I like my Earle a little less twangy, but he's got this part of his oeuvre, and that's his business.
  • "Born on the Bayou" by CCR (again) - Much better choice this time around from CCR. Weird that they would have two tracks in my random ten with 102 of my total 17450 tracks at home, but such is life. I think everybody knows this one.
  • "Grandpa Was a Carpenter" by John Prine - I love John Prine's voice - at least I loved his voice before the neck cancer. This song about Prine's grandfather (I assume it's based on a real man) is loving and fun. The chorus, in particular, is loads of fun.




1 comment:

coachsullivan said...

I played Ship Of Fools during dinner of our class reunion. Needed some quality background music that was slightly off the beaten path as far as tunes from our high school years go. Can't remember the entire playlist but I do remember Fall At Your Feet by Crowded House was another entry.