August 5, 2013

Update: Hope ya like the new me

source
It's been seven years (almost to the day) since I posted a list of things that I would buy/do when I won the lottery.

With the lottery PowerBall jackpot currently up in the $300 million range again, The Girl and I spent another ride home from The Hometown daydreaming about how we will be spending our clearly inevitable dosh.

Lots of the things haven't changed, but there are a few updates and additions.

First, the job at PHS is almost certainly going to go by the wayside. I'm more eager to travel than I was back then, so I'm not going to hang around in Cincy for nine and a half months of the year.

Next, The Girl and I are going to rent a house somewhere on a warm beach every summer. We'll also invite a bunch of close friends (and their kids, since pretty much all of 'em are breeders at this point) to join us for as much time as they can manage (a week, a weekend, a couple of weeks), and we'll pay to fly them there.

I'll sponsor a couple of ASM's summer camps. I may or may not still work at them. I enjoy the heck out of doing that.

I'm going to pay to have Richard Thompson play the Southgate House (Revival, officially) and reserve myself the table just over his shoulder when he's on stage. My mom gets to pick where Bob Dylan gets to play for her. The Girl and I are going to see John Mellencamp at the Bluebird in Bloomington (I know, sis, you've seen him there already.) And we'd be flying Calen with us to see U2 at some bar in Dublin. Heck, she's been there, so I'll let her pick the bar.

And, in the biggest change, we'll be buying 7475 Lesourdsville-West Chester Rd (google maps & bing). It's not too far from where we live. It connects diagonally with The Best Man's backyard. It's got a whole bunch of trees and space to keep the subdivision rats a bit away. Then we're going to call up This Old House to build us a new old house. We have some ideas of what we want in this new, fantastic house...
  • lots of windows (like this house)
  • a sound system built into the walls and with ipod docks around
  • a deck with built-in grill and a hot tub
  • a room for the dogs to hang out in when we're gone, with outside access to a fenced run
  • LEED certification
  • a great garden layout from Roger Cook
  • a guest house for friends 
  • more trees - probably in a variety of species so no one pest can kill 'em all

8 comments:

Mrkmndz said...

Best be going for the lump sum

thort said...

welcome back. Please don't forget to invite the NC Hortons to the beach house. Better yet, make it a NC beach and you won't be able to get rid of us!!

PHSChemGuy said...

Mrkmndz - Oh, lump sum is always the way to go. Forget that whole annuity payout.

thort - You guys certainly make the cut. As to where the beach house is going to be, that I do not yet know.

coldnorthgamer said...

Welcome back! I look forward to the beach vacations. The girls would certainly enjoy that every summer.

cmorin said...

My comment from your first post still stands.

PHSChemGuy said...

Dude, that's a lot of bubble wrap.

Kate said...

We play this game, only with a screenplay sale as our motivating factor. Number one on the list is a road trip north to Vancouver so we can hit San Francisco, Seattle, and Portland along the way.

PHSChemGuy said...

Kate - our dream roadtrip is across I-90 from Seattle to Boston. The Pacific Coast drive, though, would be pretty outstanding.