September 4, 2013

Freegal-er

The Cincy Library (aka the best library in the world) has been a partner with Freegal for a couple of years now, and they just added the opportunity to stream movies for free. (I think that link'll work. You might have to click to the library's homepage then click through, but I don't know.) Let's take a look at their offerings...
  • Airborne - the real gem here is the only ice hockey/roller blading, high school, fish-out-of-water movie I know of that's set in Cincinnati. It's a gem, and I can't possibly recommend it highly enough. The sheer 90's of it all is just outstanding.
  • Barbarella - This one's a camp classic with Jane Fonda saving the universe by having sex with anything that moves. Heck, she even destroys a sex machine because she's so good at sex. Seriously. Worth seeing for all the chuckles and the miasma. Also notable for the origin of the band name Duran Duran.
  • Harold and Maude - An odd, odd love story between a young man and a very much older woman. Strange but beautiful film that is certainly a product of its era.
  • The Fish That Saved Pittsburgh - I've had this on the to-watch-someday list for a long, long time. Another product of its era. Dr J leads a rag-tag team of basketball misfits (all born under the sign Pisces) in - I can only assume - almost winning a championship.
  • The Evil Dead - I am embarrassed to admit that I've never seen this one. Maybe I'll give it a try this weekend.
  • To Catch a Thief - Okay, finally, a real, actually great film. Cary Grant and Grace Kelly at their absolute wittiest. This is a wonderfully snappy love story between two characters who are determined not to fall in love but are destined from the film's first scene. Old school charm at its finest...
Yup...that's about it. The rest of the movies are a weird combination of films that I remember from days long gone trolling the VHS rental (or check-out) racks.

Here's to hoping that they add more movies. The service did just start up recently. I'll be happy if I finally get to watch Cube someday.

No comments: