February 24, 2014

Streaming new Beck album

I am a bigger fan of the Beck that was than of the Beck that is.

Odelay...Midnite Vultures...Mutations...Guero...Mellow Gold...even The Information - that's what I want from my Beck.

I don't want Sea Change or Modern Guilt or even his newest, Morning Phase. That's all slow, mopey Beck. That doesn't mean that's not high-quality Beck. It is. He makes high quality music; it's just not all music that I want to listen to over and over again. I don't begrudge an artist the opportunity to drift into whatever realms he wants to explore, but that doesn't mean I have to enjoy all his meanderings (see Young, Neil.)

Give yourself a chance to listen to Beck's newest, Morning Phase, a slow, calm album thanks to NPR's First Listen series.

Then go back and listen to some of his more upbeat stuff to see how awesome he can be when the mood hits.
















No comments: