September 12, 2014

Looking back FROM the 80's




Looking back at the 80's isn't a challenge. Right now, with so many children of the 80's in prime buying power age, nostalgia for the 80's is all over the place.

Today, however, I'm looking back and remembering that during the 80's people were already looking back even further. Phil Collins was singing "You Can't Hurry Love." Billy Joel was suggesting that we all "Tell Her About It." The Honeydrippers were asking if we remembered when we met.

And through it all, the stars of that era were looking back on the music from their childhood that they loved so much.

I'm always looking for artists and songs to add to this list, too, because it's not one I've ever figured out how to search for online. Anything with 80's nostalgia just gets me playlists that are like shooting fish in a barrel: A-Ha, Cyndi Lauper, so many easy to list 80's stars...but that's not what I'm looking for here. I'm looking for the 50s and early 60s as filtered through the stars of the 80s.

(Oh, and I wanted to include "Tell Her About It", "Uptown Girl", and "The Longest Time" by Billy Joel, but 8tracks only allows two songs per artist. So I had to cut one.)

1 comment:

coachsullivan said...

Kim Wilde "You Keep Me Hangin' On"
Phil Collins "Can't Hurry Love"
David Lee Roth "California Girls"
Phil Collins "Groovy Kind Of Love"
Naked Eyes "Always Something There To Remind Me"
UB40 "Red Red Wine"
Corey Hart "Can't Help Falling In Love"
Annie Lennox "Put A Little Love In Your Heart"
Soft Cell "Tainted Love"
Bananarama "Venus"
Billy Idol "Mony Mony"
Kylie Minogue "Loco-Motion"
Bangles "Hazy Shade Of Winter"
Bowie & Jagger "Dancing In The Street"
Juice Newton "Angel Of The Morning"
Bow Wow Wow "I Want Candy"
Rolling Stones "Harlem Shuffle"
Club Nouveau "Lean On Me"

Just a few off the top of my head...